Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Now Settle Down...

I know. What is this craziness? Two blog entries in one week? Settle down! I told you I have things to share and I want to make sure I don't forget to do that. I also have a little request to make...

I'm currently working on a class concept and what I need from any and all of you is some direction. I am wanting to be directed to websites, books, articles, etc. that deal with spiritual issues. Not necessarily Christianity (although this is research for a Sunday School class I'll be teaching next year sometime), anything current and spiritual will do. I am particularly interested in the bestseller/high profile stuff. To get the obvious out of the way, yes, I have already read The Da Vinci Code. It is along those lines that I'm looking though as well as contemporary Christian stuff. Don't worry about analyzing anything for me, I just want to be pointed in the direction of stuff that people might be talking about or that you've seen in the media regarding spirituality and/or Christianity. I would be very thrilled with some suggestions.

Busy busy these days...soccer, swimming, piano, violin, art classes, music teaching, oh...did someone need clean underwear? Can't you just look in your sister's drawer or something? Okay, so we're not quite that desperate yet, but I do find this increase in outside activity to be taking a toll on my impeccable housekeeping. Okay, so my housekeeping is not impeccable. I've been getting my bed made and some semblance of a meal on the table. As far as anything Martha-esque, this is truly not the season to be looking for that.

I don't know what your schedule is like and I know that everyone has a different capacity for stuff like this. I just find that our home "feels" different when we're not in it very often. I'm not sure that I like this pace and I am glad that we've (mostly) chosen to keep things to a manageable level as far as outside activities are concerned. I love reading Titus 2 and Proverbs 31 for the clear picture those chapters give on the activities a godly woman engages herself in. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't interpret either of those to say that a woman should never leave the house or anything like that. They do, however, speak to a care for home and family that are difficult to exercise when you're not at home or with your family for a good amount of the time. Just some ramblings to give you a glimpse into what I'm thinking about as I drive from place to place...

Here is my latest scrapbooking layout. My youngest daughter is a true snuggler (as you may have surmised from my previous post) and she will come up to me at any point in the day and kiss whatever body part is most accessible: knees, elbows, neck, you name it! Not all of my children are this naturally affectionate and I am so thankful for her demonstrations of love. Hope you get a kick out of this:

5 comments:

Velda said...

oh gosh that is a lovely sweet layout! Not sure I can help you in the christian part. Jerry Falwell died, I'm sure that will be prominent everywhere right now. Good luck with your teachings.

As for the house, no matter how hard I try I'll never be impeccable, right now it's taking it's toll on me tho. ((hugs)) Your kids will remember all the time you spent with them, not how messy the house was :)

Margaret said...

Things on my to-read list are:

Anne Lamott's three books on faith: Traveling Mercies : Some Thoughts on Faith, Plan B : Further Thoughts on Faith and her new one, Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith

God's Politics and Living God's Politics (Jim Wallis)

The Lost Gospel and The Gospel of Judas..can't remember the author and am too lazy to look it up (and to reread The Gnostic Gospels et al. by Pagels)

I might take a look at Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth.

Lovely layout as always!

hollyday said...

Dave is really into early Christianity studies and likes anything by Elaine Pagels, John Dominic Crossan and Shelby Spong (to name a few). One book out we both want to read is "No God But God: The origins, evolution and future of Islam" by Reza Aslan. We've seen some interviews with him and it looks really good :). ((hugs))

Ara said...

Cute page!! How do you get the picture taken without any background? or do you just have a really good editor?

Lana said...

Girl,

This layout brings tears to my eyes. Your baby girl looks completely over joyed to have her mama kissing her! It is the sweetest picture of a mom and her baby.