Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Within reach




The end of the school year is so close I can taste it! The kids and I just finished our work for today and it looks like we will be able to wrap up for the year on Friday. I am so excited as this is the first year that I feel a real finality to the work we've done, we're not just finishing because the calendar says we're done. I must credit these kids of mine for their hard work this year. I pushed them pretty hard and they are going to reap the rewards with a nice long summer break. Exciting stuff!

I am looking forward to a few things clearing off my schedule as well. Tonight is my last night of guitar lessons, our bible study group is on hiatus until the fall, and the few activities we do have left will be more manageable in light of these things falling off our lists. I am not sure if I yet know just what my capacity is in terms of scheduling. I do know that this year was more balanced than last year but I'm not sure if I can pinpoint exactly why. It seems to be a decision-by-decision thing and is much more complex than just what I have on my plate. Everyone in this household contributes to the balance of our home. I need to balance out my husband when he is feeling overwhelmed and I rely on him to do the same. When neither of us has any capacity for this, that's when we're in big trouble.

This layout I'm sharing today comes out of a neat encounter we had last fall at a big agricultural exhibition in town. This lady was so sweet in describing how she spins wool after the sheep are sheared and the girls were so attentive to her explanation. Cool moments like these make me very thankful that we are homeschooling!

More later.

3 comments:

Velda said...

Congratulations to a fabulous teacher and attentive students, enjoy your long break (we have a month left of school)

What is the 'celtic' looking thing in your layout? I was always amazed by a sheep being sheared and the feel of the 'greasy' wool afterward when 'knitted' wool was always so soft....I love sheep, we have TONS of them around our town

Margaret said...

You know I hear you on clearing one's schedule!

Congratulations to teacher and students and the completion of another terrific school year!

Cool layout.

Ara said...

Neat layout! I love times like that to learn beyond the workbooks! I try to do it everyday, but not to that extent.