Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Tea Party Girls


It was a weekend of "functions." The girls were invited to a tea party on Saturday afternoon, hosted by two young women from our church. These are not ordinary young women. They are the kind you hope your girls will turn out to be and the kind you hope your sons will marry. Sweet, generous, and thoughtful, they usually have a following of little girl admirers in between services on a Sunday morning. Several young girls were invited and the party was rounded out with women from different stages of life: some mothers, some singles, some grandmothers, young and old. The backyard where the tea took place looked like something out of a magazine with tables set with white linens and fresh flowers, shaded with lovely mature trees. The girls could hardly wait for the day to arrive and did not look back when I delivered them for their 2-hour party. What an investment these young women chose to make and what an impression it left on my girls. Sophie was concerned about how to sit, Georgia was counting the sleeps, and Olivia was excited to report that they won a garden decoration for having the most girls from one family. Good times.

I was too weary to post on Friday afternoon but I should have. There are such contrasts in the life of a mom and Friday really showed proof of this to me. My children are well-behaved, generally speaking. Friday afternoon we went out for our usual library date; the little girls go to a story time and the rest of us browse and read. Following that we headed to the grocery store and they were like aliens! My youngest wanted to be carried, my oldest was a pest, and the two in between asked for every other thing you could think of. I shop with them weekly, they know the drill. It was one of those humbling trips that I'm glad to leave behind. We'll do better next time.

Sunday evening was another fun event: the high school graduation tea for the four youth at our church who will finish Grade 12 this month. This is a big deal where the girls wear their formal dresses, walk out under an arbour, and each set of parents writes a tribute that is read at this time. It was really wonderful to celebrate (not to mention the decadent chocolate dessert that was served). At the end of the evening I had a chance to speak to my oldest daughter's Sunday School teacher. She's just a wonderful lady and we're so pleased with the quality of her teaching. She shared an amazing answer that Olivia gave to a question she asked. The question: "Why does God not always give us what we pray for?" The answer from my 7-year-old: "Maybe He knows that if He gave us that thing, we would love it more than we love Him and that wouldn't be good for us." And a little child will lead them...

We are on summer vacation! I'm hoping to have a little more time to post here. Enjoy your day!

7 comments:

Margaret said...

What a fun transition into summer you've been having! Well except for that ill-fated grocery store trip.

Miriam Pauline said...

What lovely events to attend. The girls are just beautiful. We had one of those grocery store excursions yesterday. *sigh* You are not alone.

Lana said...

Look at those girls in their dresses! How adorable!!

It sounds like we had similar weekends - only my test was on Saturday when poor Bentley was toted around the country side for showers and baptisms. He did well considering, but my gosh, he was so restless all day!

Velda said...

You amaze me. What a wonderful entry. Your girls are just lovely little blossoms! You're such a lucky mom and they are such lucky children.

Ara said...

Neat picture, I like how you got the fog around the edges...i need to play with my picture program more ;) Sounds like a fun filled weekend, minus the grocery store event.

Hope you gave a good week!

hollyday said...

Your girls are beautiful! It sounds like a lovely time :). I'm going to be having those shopping trips soon once school's out and I'm not looking forward to it ;). ((Hugs))

Amydeanne said...

those are beautiful pictures of your girls! my life is mainly chaos, so I know all to well the pesty moments!