Friday, March 30, 2007

Once in a while...

Once in a while it's good to have a clear countertop for more than 15 minutes.
Once in a while it's nice to have a shower with no one coming in to use the bathroom or ask for something.
Once in a while it's good to have complete control of the remote.
Once in a while it's cool to just eat when I'm hungry and whatever I want, instead of being controlled by the clock and juggling the preferences of six different people.
Once in a while it's fun to be able to have some crafting supplies out without worrying who will get into what.
Once in a while it's nice to know that the laundry won't be reproducing at light speed, for a few days anyway.
Once in a while it's refreshing to pray without worrying if someone will wake up, fight, or otherwise interrupt.
Once in a while it's good to have time to complete those projects that niggle at your conscience.
Once in a while it's important to have some space to recognize the privilege of my every day role as a wife and mom.
Once in a while it's wonderful to look forward to not waking up in the night to a little someone or two climbing over my body to get "in the middle."
Once in a while it's good to breathe deeply and enjoy the quiet.

My once in a while is here. Gary and the children have given me a weekend home retreat. I'm not in crisis or difficult to be around, just taking the opportunity to enjoy my favourite place by myself. My favourite people will return on Sunday night and I look forward to having a rejuvenated me to give to them.

Once in a while we all could use a little space, don't you think?

7 comments:

Margaret said...

Enjoy your retreat.

Running Kiwi said...

I could have written that post ... although I now get a mini retreat most days during the week (I'll ignore the last couple of weeks when I've been working) ... now everyone is at school - even after a whole school term I STILL feel like I've been given a special treat every day LOL

Enjoy your weekend :)

Ara said...

Enjoy your weekend retreat!! I hope to some weekend this year have the same retreat!

Miriam Pauline said...

Blessings on your retreat weekend. Color me envious (at least a little).

Velda said...

so when I'm in the neighbourhood this weekend I shouldn't stop by? lol kidding! Enjoy your quiet time and perhaps pray that I could get some, once in a while..... ;)

Megan said...

Have a wonderful weekend - enjoy every moment!

hollyday said...

How true! We all need the space sometimes and I hope you enjoy yours to the fullest :). ((Hugs))