Sunday, March 25, 2007

X-rays and Finding the Balance


That's right. Poor Olivia had her first meeting with an x-ray machine. I am happy to report, however, that no bones are broken. A legitimate soccer injury, she was kicked during Game 3 of her tournament yesterday. I chronically under-react to situations like this. I knew she was hurt because she cried. She doesn't cry very often about physical stuff, she's a pretty tough nut. After a bit of consoling, I sent her back to the bench and encouraged her to play a bit longer. I know, I know, not the winning mommy moment of the weekend. She did go out and play, like a trooper, but was unable to bear much weight on her ankle and wasn't out for very long at a time, coming off the court when the child who kicked her (okay, I know it was an accident but I feel a bit of hostility) was on the floor. It was, after all, the last game of the season. By the time we got her home, that ankle was a bit puffy. We iced it last night and she seemed to have a decent sleep. The swelling had gone down by this morning and we proceeded to church as usual. After the service and Sunday School, I solicited a friend of mine in the medical field to check her out. She didn't look at that ankle for very long before encouraging me to take her in today to have an x-ray. After lunch with friends, we headed over to the closest minor emergency clinic for a long wait, a quick consult with a very kind doctor, a short wait for the x-ray, and a diagnosis of a bad sprain. A few days staying off that foot as much as possible, icing it, a tensor, and a bit of ibuprofen should get this girl back into tip-top shape.

Other than our little medical drama, this was a very busy weekend. I won't bore you with all the details but a couple of meetings, some errand running, three soccer games, a bowling birthday party, church, lunch, friends, and a bit of enjoying the wonderful weather. So much of what we did was enjoyable but our balance of leisure is out of whack. With Gary traveling so much as of late, we all would benefit from some quiet home time. I'm not sure when this will happen. What is the balance like at your house? Do you fight against this culture of busyness or submit to it? I feel that I am constantly fighting for a balance that we never reach and I KNOW that our home is not as busy or scheduled as some. We have pretty decent capacity for activity and people and our children genuinely enjoy social activity. Where is that line of cultivating a healthy home life and letting too much outside stuff in? If you find it, let me know, would you?

The card above is one I made for the birthday party we went to yesterday for our neighbour and good friend. It was fun to get some time to create on Friday evening after a meeting. All stamps, inks, and papers are by Stampin' Up!

I pray you'll start the week with a healthy balance. More later.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

You know what I had to do to shed our lives of "busyness"!!!

Last night at our final Lenten program we were supposed to create a collage or picture representing our gifts that we give to St. John's. Mine was a very abstract tissue paper collage. Just torn pieces of paper glued onto construction paper. I said it was abstract on purpose. My gifts have yet to be discovered. Oh I know I have much to offer.....I know what I'm capable of giving. But I need to figure out what that is going to be. I want it to fit into our new leisurely family-oriented life!

Margaret said...

Oh and gentle hugs to Olivia. And what stamp set is that? I need details, woman.

Ara said...

That is a very nice card!!! I am the proud owner!! Thanks for coming to my party, it was fun to have so many people there!

Hope Olivia recovers quickly and is ready to play outdoor soccer when it starts!