Monday, March 12, 2007

Role Reversal

Just amuse me for a minute as I pout. Gary has a business trip later this week and is going to spend a few days at a wonderful resort in the Rocky Mountains. I am not begrudging the fact that I will be home as a single parent for three days, the kids and I actually do fairly well while he is away. Here's the thing: Gary is not wild about traveling, staying in hotels, or eating out. Oh my stars! That is my idea of heaven on earth. Did I forget to mention that this place has a spa? I did investigate the possibility of traveling with him but it just did not work out this time.

This serves as a great reminder to me that we all have aspects of our jobs that we don't particularly enjoy, even though those might be the very things that others think would be "job perks." It's that "grass is greener" thing creeping in again. I have a brother-in-law who works as a pilot for a major airline. He flies to exotic locations and has the opportunity to stay in hotels and eat out regularly, see different countries, escape the cold climate (okay, arguably this CANNOT be counted as a negative, no matter how you look at it!). After talking to him about the reality of his job, which he really enjoys, it's a whole lot less glamorous than I initially thought it would be. I really need to remember this:

...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:11-13 NIV).


Good old Paul! His circumstances sure changed over time and yet he seemed to be able to shake it down to the truly important stuff. I wish you much contentment in your role today, whatever that may be!

More later.

6 comments:

Margaret said...

Contentment today for me was seeing my daughter's smiling face when I showed up at school with a clean change of clothes. You should have SEEN how much mud she had managed to find on the playground. Thankful that I could answer that phonecall from the school office and scurry off to school with the clothes.

And Renee dear, if you don't e-mail me I shall have to do something drastic.

Ara said...

Oh, wow, that came up fast. I would be having similar feelings too, if I was in your situation.
((HUGS)) Hopefully you can get some scrapbooking layouts done in your quiet evenings!

MonaS! said...

very cool verse!

. said...

uhoh...M's on the rampage Renee, look out! lol....I too LOVE travel...I keep telling peter to JUMP at the opportunity to travel to the Orient or Brazil or Germany with work. His reply was "why" ??? ahhhh men! lol....I have travelling in my blood and with 4 kids, we don't do it as often as I'd like. ((((hugs)))

Amydeanne said...

what a fun way of looking it. Greg doesn't enjoy doing those things "alone".. of course he'd rather be in the backwoods playing in the dirt... what a great reminder! Thanks for posting!

Sara Laughs said...

I'm always looking at the greener grass too Renee.