Monday, December 11, 2006

Evidence of wildlife?



In the last two weeks we've had a lot of snow. I know, that shouldn't surprise me, this IS Saskatchewan, after all. It seems like this is the land of extremes. We had a gorgeous fall and in a matter of just a few days we were rudely catapulted right into winter. Frozen rain followed by deep freeze temperatures. Driving around the city you would think that we imported our citizens from a tropical country, such is the icy road amnesia that afflicts a good portion of the population every time fresh snow falls. I prefer to stay in.

When I do have to venture out, however, it's always a bit of a thrill to see the brilliant diamonds sparkling on yards where the snow is untouched. A sheet of white blankets yards connecting houses in an uninterrupted twinkling whiteness. Over the past few days, temperatures have begun to rise but most yards remain pristine. Except ours. As my husband said on our way to church yesterday morning, "It looks like a herd of buffalo stormed across our front yard!" Happy to say the rest of the neighbourhood, save for the corners of one or two lots, remains in perfect snow sheet condition. I think I've seen this particular herd before. They are the same creatures that track loads of sand across my kitchen floor during the warmer months. Peculiar migratory patterns but I think we'll just let them continue on. Our lot may not look as pretty but it's all evidence of fun.

7 comments:

Sara Laughs said...

Hmm, she's a little small to be sasquatch...

Unknown said...

Oh my kids are so jealous!

Miriam Pauline said...

She is adorable!

Megan said...

No snow here in NJ yet... but I'm sure it will arrive in the new year.

Jaime said...

isn't she cute!

_ said...

Aww, what a cute picture! She sure looks like she's having fun. =)

Ara said...

Sophie is so goofy!! LOL Alexa liked this picture! We sure got alot of snow in a short amount of time, didn't we!!