Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Issues




I've been having Blogger issues and could not log in here for some time. Good grief! Isn't technology supposed to contribute to our leisure? Glad that I could finally get on here to post!

We have come out of our extreme cold spell and into normal winter conditions. Still pretty cold but not too cold to prevent outside play. Towards the end of our 3-week cold snap (with -30C temps and colder), my children just had to go outside. We bundled them up so just their eyes were showing and out they would go, delighted to run and play and jump in the snow. It amazes me how strong this need for play is and how many different ways I see our culture discouraging this natural way of learning. Ours has been a much happier house with some more fresh air and stretched out muscles.

Another sad goodbye yesterday. A young married couple who have become sweet friends of ours have made a very significant life change in moving to SE Asia as career missionaries. We bid them farewell at the airport last night and I displayed my Olympic-calibre ability to shed tears. I admire these women who hold their emotions in so well or who have a few dainty little tears roll down their cheeks. Not me. I go straight for the ugly cry. Thrilled for them and the people group they go to share life and Jesus with, sad for us as we live life without their nearby friendship. I'm telling you, this is a hard place to live in terms of having to say goodbye. And I'm not good at it.

Thank you for the kind comments after I shared my personal journey of motherhood. I'm always cautious about revealing stuff like that, especially online. I think, generally speaking, that we aren't real enough with each other about parenting. Pride gets in the way of sharing how difficult it can be at times. Shouldn't something worth doing cost us something? I know I value the relationship I have with my children even more for the struggles I have had. My goal is to be one happy and doting grandmother!

The above layout is one I worked on at the women's retreat I attended the weekend before last. I so enjoyed having some time to visit and create on Saturday afternoon. I'm convicted even more of how precious it is to be around like-minded women from different walks of life. I missed my family more than usual though and was thrilled to arrive home to Georgia's "Mama, mama, mama!"

More later. And not as later as last time, I promise.

4 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

Oh I miss you when you can't blog! ((HUGS)) Since we have chosen a life of perpetually saying good-byes, I am learning to do that better. I've always said it is harder on the ones called to stay than the ones called to go--we have the new adventure motivating us to say good-bye. I hope blogger plays nicer this week.

Amydeanne said...

great LO!
I was sad to see said people leave as well.. it's funny, I only started to get to really know her at the ladies retreat, but it was really neat to see how God is going to use them! Defineatly on my prayer list...
If it makes you feel better I don't do dainty cries, only dainty sneezes I've been told lol.

Ara said...

Great Layout! I always knew what you were going for, even is some people were giving you a hard time ;)

I haven't had to be in that situation, you are describing...i think you just know too many people LOL I can't imagine having to go through that the amount of times you've had to go through it. You will see them in Heaven, and they won't say good-bye there!

. said...

I can't tell you enuf how much I enjoy reading what you write. I'm sorry you were so saddened by your friend's leaving but I know you'll rejoice in all they are doing to further the peacefullness of the world. (((((hugs))))))) Oh and for the record, I used to be one of those strong, non crying or just that "one tear" woman...now I'm an emotional mess when things make me cry, happy or sad lol...maybe it comes with age ;)