Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Practice Joy

I've had an ongoing conversation with a dear friend of mine (waving to Margaret!) about the difference between joy and happiness. Imagine my pure delight to stumble onto this thoughtful section in, of all places, a homeschooling book I'm reading called Help for the Harried Homeschooler: A Practical Guide to Balancing Your Child's Education with the Rest of Your Life by Christine M. Field:
One of the best ways to dispense with discouragement in your life is to practice joy. How? By learning to love your life just as it is....God never promised us that life would be all sunshine and happiness. We know as Christians that we are not entitiled to "the good life." By God's grace, he gives us what he gives us....Joy comes in tiny segments. If we deal with life as it comes, moment by moment, one step at a time, we'll find it. Now is all God asks us to handle.


I wish I had the skills to communicate how much this concept has transformed my life. I've struggled with worry and perfectionism and control since I was a young child. The idea of practicing joy tells me that it is something that can be learned and that it is a choice I can make, to live my life joyfully. It says nothing about my natural disposition and neither does the Bible qualify those who are promised joy as the "sunshiney perky crowd." I am so thankful for this and I have begun to experience true joy in my life, despite circumstances, as I've looked at it as something I can actively seek and practice.

The first area that I have seen the effects of this change of attitude in is in my approach to mothering. Practicing joy means putting off chores when a child asks to be read to, playing a marathon-length game of Monopoly on occasion, choosing to care for a sick child with kindness instead of impatience and irritation. I think, I hope, most of the time this is something that can't be seen as I know that the person it impacts the most is me. It affects the memories I'm building of my time as a mom to young kids and I want those to be sweet ones.

Practicing joy hugely impacts my marriage. As Gary and I approach the anniversary of our first date (yeah, we're sappy and remember stuff like that), I asked him recently about how he is feeling about our relationship. His comment that I seem more settled and less confrontational is a huge compliment to me. Through the choice to practice joy God has blessed my marriage. I am so thankful for that.

Right now I'm off to practice quiet. Gary and the girls are off skating and Noah is outside playing with a neighbour friend. A Sunday afternoon nap just might be on the schedule.

More later!

5 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

I do believe that joy is something we choose, that we grow into and that we can become more proficient. I appreciate your depiction of where you sometimes need to choose joy with your children--me too. I need to be more willing to choose to share their joy than finish what I've started. Thank you for the reminder.

. said...

I really enjoy your entries and wanted you to know that not only are you sharing the impact they have on your life, what you are "teaching" to the readers of your blog (me :) are so appreciated!

Amy said...

Wow, I really love today's entry. I so need to practice an attitude of joy instead of one of expectation for a "perfect" life. I mentioned your blog today on MY blog, cut I don't know your name, so I couldn't include it. I would love it if you would check out my blog and then email to let me know your first name. Thanks for sharing this great thought. I am going to practice it today!!!

Margaret said...

Be joyful!!!

Ara said...

What a great thoughtful section in that book. I like that part, Joy comes in tiny segments! One step at a time...Thanks for posting that paragraph!!