Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Discovery of Podcasts

We're not really known around here for having the latest and greatest gadgets. I suspect we might have been the kind of people in the 1950s who were waiting "for this Television thing to just blow over." It's not that we're skeptical of technology, just not overly quick to open our wallets and jump onto a bandwagon of any sort. We've got plenty of other things to open our wallets for. (Like pants. Pants are good. And somewhat necessary for things like church and shopping for other pants). That's why my own technological revelations have been a year or two (or more) behind the mainstream.

All of this to let you all know that I have discovered the wonderful world of podcasts! A girlfriend of mine recommended Mark Driscoll from Mars Hill Bible Church in Seattle to me and I decided to check him out. After reading a few things online I decided to do the unthinkable and download a podcast. It was easy! John Piper over at Desiring God has a weekly podcast as well. And there are more. Just the tip of the proverbial iceberg!

What's so great about podcasts? It makes certain things in life a bit more bearable. Like yardwork. And walking for exercise. And accessing good solid preaching. We are under incredible teaching and leadership at our local church and I would in no way use an impersonal podcaster to replace that. Of all the things that technology can lend, however, I am downright enthusiastic about this new way to access good information. I'm not likely to listen for hours at a time (around here you don't do anything for hours at a time) and I can get some of my other work done while listening to something uplifting and challenging.

Okay, are you willing to share any of your podcast preferences with me? I'd love to know what is out there that you think is worth a listen.

Lately I don't feel like a blog post is complete without a photo, so I leave you with this photo I took at a recent wedding. I've been playing with some of the manual settings on my camera and am quite pleased with how this turned out:

5 comments:

Velda said...

You're ahead of me, I've never downloaded a podcast, I'm glad you are enjoying them and that others can help you out.

Love photo...macro? portrait?

Unknown said...

you crack me up! we are the same. we like to buy things when they are old enough that they are not the rage and thus... cheap. Hah! we love listening to the Mars Hill podcasts! we also really enjoy John McArthur. have you been to oneplace.com? one stop shop for sermon and radio program podcasts, it's da bomb. Sorry we missed you the other day, but sounds like we were running ragged on both ends, not ideal circumstances for good visits. Love ya!

Megan said...

I love podcasts! Love love love them! Here are the ones I subscribe to:
This American Life
Bon Appetit
Car Talk
Fresh Air

I have others that go in and out, based on TV shows or books I'm reading, plus a few from my local radio station.

Amydeanne said...

that is an awesome picture.. right out of wedding bells! :)

podcasts... maybe bethmoore ones from her site..

Amydeanne said...

hey btw, you need to add links! so I can find these podcast thingies! lol