Wednesday, August 6, 2008

This son of mine



Eleven years (and some change) ago this child entered my life and set me spinning. What was I, the oldest of two girls, happily feminine, highly emotional, going to do with a...BOY? What began that moment is one of the sweetest turns my life could take. Imagine it: me, a boy's mom. And what a boy he is. Rough and tumble. Loud. Mischievous. Brave. Smelly. Challenging. But also thoughtful. Sensitive. Funny. Creative. And so very very original. Can't imagine life without this guy, who is so like his father in many ways and so very different in others. The man I married is an academic. Plays tennis. Sings Tenor. Reads. Strong. Thoughtful. On the quiet side.

When a boy like this is enthusiastic about something, he goes at it full tilt. My son loves football. He loves watching it, talking about it, and playing the game. He enjoys it so much that the grueling practice schedule doesn't phase him. He talks of living in rural Illinois and playing for either the Chicago Bears or the Green Bay Packers when he grows up. He's seldom seen without his Chicago Bears hat. He'll even forgo a second helping of one of his favourite foods to ensure that he doesn't go over the weight limit for his league. Season is in full swing now and he is going at it with gusto!

When a boy like this had an opportunity to meet a professional football player at a recent football camp, the gesture really encapsulates this moment. Here is our son with #96 of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, Defensive Lineman, Scott Schultz:



Today is game day and my son and I will be at the field, on the 45-yard line, cheering for the whole team. But maybe just a little bit stronger for #96.

3 comments:

Velda said...

What a handsome young man. Let me know when he becomes famous so I can say I knew him when.....

Amydeanne said...

how cool is that for Master N! :)

Anonymous said...

That is so cool! I bet he's over the moon! Seems as if a few of us have boys who turned 11 in August! You, me and Amanda. Can you believe it? Treasure the memories always because before we know it... they'll be at college!