Monday, August 11, 2008

Saying Goodbye


I've been remarkably blessed as far as friendships are concerned. For as long as I can remember, I've had a close friend. Of course those close friendships have changed over time. Some have developed into lasting friendships that defy geographical and life situation challenges. Some have ended, just kind of faded as time progressed. Others have ended less gracefully; fortunately very few fit into this category, but still taught me something about having and being a friend. Hardest of all are those friendships that have been as close as a sister until God's calling leads to a physical separation. See, I've had extraordinary friendships but I've had to say goodbye more times than I'd like.

This weekend was no exception. We were thrilled to host a dear family in our home for just two short nights. The last time we spent time together was in 2003, shortly before they left to go overseas as career missionaries. In a country with limited access. Building a ministry from the ground up. Intense stuff. They do well to communicate as frequently as they can which isn't all that often. I know how busy life is for me on the Canadian Prairies where I have nearly every amenity you could hope for and I speak the language. They've spent the last four years learning two different languages, building relationships with their ministry team, and preparing for a more remote destination, all the while adjusting to daily life in a different culture and raising three boys, and raising them well. My heart swells with joy when I think of the choices they've made. Big-time difficult to let them go.

We talked. And laughed. And hugged. And cried. Knowing that this time would be short, there was no patience for surface chit-chat. The stuff of life, the stuff that changes us and how we view God and the world and our family and our roles. I waved goodbye to them knowing that we had used our time well.

And so we pray. For their safety. For their ministry. For their family. And for them to know just how very dearly we love them.

I am changed by God gracing my life with a handful of sweet dear "heart" friends. And for this I thank my heavenly Father with a heart of gratitude and joy.

3 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

((hugs)) Praying for your friends.

Margaret said...

Keeping your friends and their work in my prayers.

Amydeanne said...

mama fluff is doing great! she's getting bigger all the time.. i'm assuming anytime now! hehe want me to call you so you can come and watch? lol
Not much longer!