Friday, August 1, 2008

Not Exactly Stellar

That's probably how I would describe my day today. My sweeties and I arrived home early last night after spending a few days at my parents' place. I was thrilled to be coming home, we've been away enough. We left Gary behind this time as he's trying to hold onto a few holiday days and also wanted to work on some renovations we have underway. This man still makes my stomach flip and I was so ready to see his face. What I didn't expect was a fried modem, chasing after my firstborn's football coach trying to get equipment, and other such inconveniences. After spending time waiting on the phone with the modem stuff and finally getting the footballer outfitted, I was ready for an easy day today.

Not to be. One piece of football equipment didn't make it into the pile. I found an equipment store that carries the item we needed, tucked the fried modem under my arm, and piled the five of us into the van to get things done. Arrived home in time to get lunch on the table, dropped our athlete off at the university for camp, and headed off to the museum for cheap movie and popcorn afternoon. So far so good even in the 31-degree Celsius heat. Arrived on time to catch the last bit of practice with my three wilting girls in tow, picked up a sweaty son, piled into the van and....SMACK! Backed into another vehicle backing out at the same time in a crowded lot of impatient parents. Urgh! Minimal damage to her vehicle (a bit of paint scraping but no dent) and a slightly crumpled back bumper on mine. Exchanged information, drove home, uploaded some scrapping design team stuff that was due last night, and praised my sweetheart for preparing dinner before feeding the hungry and sending our son back off to camp.

I enjoyed a quiet couple of hours while my husband took the girls on a bike ride and decided to go to the field a bit early to watch the last bit of practice. Great idea but I couldn't find my keys! The two little girls had used them earlier to get something out of the van and hadn't put them back. Looked everywhere, phoned over to where the bikers were trampolining, and enquired after the keys. No luck. "Mommy, they're either on the counter or in the van somewhere." Gary quickly borrowed our friend's vehicle and started to drive home with his keys. I, of course, found the keys as soon as I got off the phone, scribbled off a quick note, and headed for the field.

Not exactly stellar. I told you. However, at the end of the day, we are all here: safe, weary, giggling, and still an intact family. I am thankful for God's hand on our family today and for inconveniences that are pretty small in light of the world around me. None of us were hurt as a result of my little collision, our footballer returned to us injury-free, we parented together and saw glimpses of His love for us. Not perfect, I know. But not that far off of a really good day.

I leave you with one of my latest scrapbooking layouts, revealed today as part of the Design Team release over at www.scraptivity.com

3 comments:

Velda said...

I'm glad the day ended on a postitive note. ((Hugs))

Lovely layout!

Elizabeth said...

Love Scraptivity-went there for the first time tonight. And I loved being a peeping lizzie at all your layouts - very inspiring!!
Oh - your post was something i could associate with 100% as well. :)

Tammy said...

Glad to hear no one was hurt in the fender bender.

I thought my days were hectic. I've got nothing on you!

Scrapbooking page layout is gorgeous.