Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Fleeting Days of Summer...



I wasn't much of a summer kid. Plagued by seasonal allergies, I passed the summer in strange ways. Practiced penmanship by copying out the descriptions in the Sears catalog. Cross-stitched in the cool basement. Read countless books. Babysat. Longed for a tree to sit under (we lived in a relatively new subdivision with no trees to speak of). Daydreamed. Watched "The Price is Right" faithfully. Took swimming lessons. Fought with my sister.

The outdoors has grown on me over the years and there is nothing I enjoy more than providing opportunities for my children to be out in the sunshine. Maybe my perspective has changed over the years to an understanding of just how very long our winters are here. Maybe the years of having to get four children ready to go out the door for various things helped me appreciate sandal season (as opposed to snowsuit, boots, mittens, scarf, and hat season). Maybe our camping trips have taught me to appreciate nature. Maybe the break from homeschooling and teaching music lessons is truly needed.

Nah. I think it's the fact that my blond-haired blue-eyed blessings look so darn cute with those bathing suit lines separating their golden tanned skin from their lily-white bottoms.

Job 12:7-10


7 "But ask the animals, and they will teach you,
or the birds of the air, and they will tell you;

8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,
or let the fish of the sea inform you.

9 Which of all these does not know
that the hand of the LORD has done this?

10 In his hand is the life of every creature
and the breath of all mankind.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh that layout and those pictures are just BEAUTIFUL! Sigh. We are going to look at a new boat tonight. And a trampoline, I think we are having mid summer crisis, only after mid summer, if you know what I mean. If september is nice I plan to milk each nice day for all it's worth. I hate the thought of winter, even though it is magical and beautiful, it's freezing and I don't. like. freezing.

Velda said...

My 2nd *awwww* Moment of the day. You're SUCH a mom, you make me smile. I never had allergies but I did all those things except it was poetry instead of catalogues and I didn't stitch back then....

Your children show beautifully :)

Margaret said...

Oh wow that's gorgeous.

And btw..... gave you an award. Come see on my blog.

Velda said...

Check my blog hon, something for you