Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Christmas Decoration Critique

I went for a nice walk last night while my husband finished preparing dinner (I think he walked in and saw the look on my face and suggested I go for a walk all in about 8.9 seconds...perceptive guy). Southern Saskatchewan currently gets about 8 hours of daylight, from 9AM to 5PM, give or take. It has been beautiful here, above freezing even, and I enjoyed getting out in the twilight. It gave me a great opportunity to take a neighbourhood inventory of Christmas decorating and I thought, in good fun, I would offer my thoughts on what's tacky, what's classic, and what's just wrong. Here it goes!

Plastic Santas and Mrs. Claus (the light-up variety): tacky
Nativities that don't include the above couple: classic
Nativites that do include the above couple: just wrong
Huge inflatable snowmen or santas: tacky
Swirly lighted trees: classic
Icicle lights: so 1998
Garland with or without red bows: classic
Red bows for no apparent reason: tacky
Upside-down Christmas trees: don't get me started
Lighted reindeer on the lawn: surprisingly classic
Multi-colored Christmas lights: classic (purple and pink are borderline, however)
Fake huge candy-canes: classic, unless they are carving a path to the manger, then tacky
Snowflakes in the window: classic, even better if they are paper cut-out snowflakes
Strings of lights with 3 or more bulbs burnt out: tacky and incriminating
Wreaths: classic (I saw a cool gumdrop wreath posted somewhere that I am soooo going to try for next year)

Okay, this is all just for my own amusement. I do find it interesting to see how people choose to celebrate and the memories that flood back when you see different styles or items. What are the best and worst of what you saw this season?

10 comments:

_ said...

What a great critique! I'm not sure I even want to know about the upside Christmas tree. LOL

At the entrance to our neighborhood, the house on the corner did a very cool Christmas display using old bifold doors. We couldn't figure out what in the world they were doing with them when they first had them out but once they got all the decorations up, it was very nice. And they had a cool metal snowman that had cutouts for the light to shine through. Very pretty. They still have it up...I should really try to take a pic of it when it's lit up. Now on the opposite of their yard, they have a cloth Santa smashed into a tree...could do without that one. LOL

Margaret said...

Upsidedown Christmas tree?????

My quick comment is that I think it's SO COOL that everyone around here seems to leave their decorations up not only past December 26th, but past New Year's! Our neighborhood is still aglow with lights of all kinds. My favorite is the house around the corner with the spiral white tree, reindeer next to it, and packages made of lights under the tree. It's very classy.

Leah said...

I am so very, very picky when it come to Christmas décor. I dislike most 'cuz it's just not what I would do. ;)

Ara said...

Phew, glad to know we don't have any of the tacky or just wrong decorations....and out tree has one red bow, to symbolize the loss of my husbands dad!

Tina said...

I agree with you 1oo%. Of course, here in the deep south you see all sorts of odd decorations. My favorite being a Santa dressed in camo gear. ~sigh~

Megan said...

Upside down Christmas trees? Whaaaaat????

Those dang inflatables are EVERYWHERE in my county - and most people have more than 1. I hate every single one of them.

Running Kiwi said...

Sounds good to me :) ... there isn't a lot of outside decorating here, not sure why - maybe because it is too light at night to enjoy Christmas Lights!

Loved your covered box, you have a great eye for colour!

Jaime said...

(((HUGS)))
it sounds like you had a rough day.
I miss seeing you around the board.

Amydeanne said...

lol I must be stuck in 1998, I like the icicles... of course I don't have any... infact, we only hung decorations on my fake plant in the corner as Mr.PJ has a habit of trying to break allof the ornaments... I've seen a few of those upside down trees, isn't that like satanic? lol... well, if not, just plain weird!

Sara Laughs said...

There are quite a few that aren't to my taste but I always enjoy seeing them. Especially in the city on the row homes. Some of them manage to cram more lights and blow-ups on their narrow three story home than I could on my quarter acre LOL!