Friday, January 5, 2007

{evidence}



I promised and I deliver. Here is evidence that I really do stitch. This is my current work in progress, Thoughtful Heart by Shepherd's Bush. It is stitched with lovely Au Ver a Soie Silk fibres that I delight in working with. Wonderful. I did mess up the Ukrainian Satin Stitch in the upper right corner block and will probably go back and correct it. Hard to work white on white though and I just didn't have the patience to correct it last night. This is stitching up quickly. When we left for my MIL's on Christmas Day, I had only stitched A, B, and C. Wonderful project and I am really enjoying the peace it is bringing me to work on it in the evenings.

THE FUNNIEST conversation in the van yesterday. We were discussing polar bears as there had been a short news talk bit about how the climate change is impacting animals of the north. Noah and Olivia started asking questions about extinction and I could just see the wheels turning in Georgia's head. She said, "How do they get extinct? By a skunk??" It took me a while to realize that what she was hearing was the "stink" part of the word. Oh man! She is very offended if we laugh at her but Gary and I had an absolute roar about it last night. So funny how they process words and figure things out.

I've been thinking about direction for 2007...I've always resisted the whole resolution thing. It just seems destined for failure right from the start for an undisciplined gal like myself. I read a neat blog and newsletter by a superb scrapbooker named Ali Edwards (see her blog here: http://aliedwards.typepad.com/_a_/). I love the idea of choosing a word for the year for focus in scrapbooking. I'm throwing a few words around at this point: home, create, simplify, thankful, purpose. I'll let you know what I decide.

Neat reprieve from real life today. I thought we had to jet off to the conservatory for a piano lesson but checked the notebook last night to find that we don't start back until the 12th. This afternoon will be grocery time and Noah has a soccer tournament that starts tonight. Other than his few games this weekend and a "mystery event" tonight that I can't tell you about yet, our weekend is relatively light. Hope you are looking forward to some relaxing moments over the next couple of days!

9 comments:

Sara Laughs said...

I get an email newsletter called "Tips on Being A More Generous Wife" and today it talked about picking a word or phrase to focus on during the year. "The idea is that it isn't a resolution per se, but a focus point that points you in the direction you want to go." It sounds like a good idea and I've spent the morning thinking about it.

Margaret said...

I try to pick a different word each year for my somewhat haphazard practice of centering prayer. Haven't done it yet for this year, but it is kind of cool to have that focus for the year.

Can't wait to hear about your mystery event....

Margaret said...

Oh and duhhhhhh. Love your SB piece!

Running Kiwi said...

I don't usually bother with resolutions ...but my resolution this year (or for at least six months) is NO ... I've managed to get rid of my huge soccer job and with Charlotte at school I finally have time for me and need to take the time to actually use that time ... my "no" word should allow more time for exercise and eating right ... which covers the usual resolutions anyway! LOL

I'm hoping to start some scrapbooking and do more cardmaking this year - and your work is definitely an inspiration - so keep those pictures coming ;)

Love your stitching - I've stitched this one and it is a lovely piece - lots of fun with the different stitches :)

Enjoy your weekend!

Ara said...

Your stitching project looks nice! Great work!

Your mystery event sounds mysterious!! LOL

See you later ;)

_ said...

You SB wip is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Great idea about a word for a year. I'll have to think on that one and see if I can come up with something.

Can't wait to hear about your mystery event.

Megan said...

Oh my gosh, there's so many things in this post that I want to comment on!

First, the SB piece is LOVELY! I thought at first it was a Brightneedle, which is one of my fave designers - I'll have to take a closer look at SB, I don't own any of their patterns.

Second, I love what you said about this piece bringing you peace. I have several WIPs that give me nothing but stress, for a variety of reasons - I really need to focus on the ones that bring me peace this year.

Third, I'm totally on the bandwagon for "word" resolutions - mine for this year are FEARLESS, RUTHLESS, SPOTLESS, LIMITLESS. I'm so much more calm about "resolutions" this year because of it. I don't feel like an instant failure like I did other years.

. said...

Renee, that piece is SO lovely and so you :)

Meari said...

That was so cute (and funny) about Georgia and the polar bear extinction!