Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Publication Ban




LISTEN. I've decided that is the word for 2007. You know, I think I am a pretty good listener. To a select group of people. Ahhhh, therein lies the problem, especially since the bulk of that select group is not composed of immediate family members. Oh, I hear the requests for juice, snacks, stories, etc. but I'm not sure that I am a very good listener to what is behind those needs. I pretty regularly say, "I don't even want to HEAR it!" when there is a dispute going on. Well, truth be told, a lot of the time I don't, but I do want to truly be a listener to my children, my husband, my friends and...well, most importantly, my God. I have a love of the Word that surprises me, a true wonder at the perfection of Scripture. But I don't always listen to what God is saying to me, telling me, asking of me, commanding me. That's my word, my goal, my prayer, my heart's desire for 2007.

Okay, I'm pretty sure that the Youth Criminal Justice Act of 2003 (formerly known as the Young Offenders Act of 1984) prohibits publication of the name of the juvenile offender in our home. This individual, age 5, is being charged with Disturbing the Peace and, more seriously, Crimes Against Humanity. Seriously, this child has been sent to teach me a myriad of lessons: mercy, patience, discernment, how to breathe, the importance of having a bathroom door that locks, the value of good chocolate. There is a true struggle within me as I look to parent this child well. The other 3 are much more textbook but this one defies all conventional wisdom. She is talented, beautiful, and so so intelligent. She's small, weighing in at only 34 lbs., but she can make up for that in volume and attitude. This one is driving me to prayer (which is a good thing). I so desire that these 4 have a wonderful friendship when they are grown, that they truly enjoy being with each other. This one may have to turn from her criminal tendencies in order for that to be realized.

I have a sadness and disappointment about something outside our family that I can't really get into. I am so very thankful for the leadership my husband is shown, that he is a faithful friend and compassionate man, but that he is a man of integrity seeking after the heart of God and is unswerving in his pursuit of that. No more really needs to be said.

I have a scrapbooking layout and a stitching WIP (Work in Progress) that I will share soon. Stay tuned. Oh, and if you see the juvenile mentioned above, she is not considered to be a threat to the community. It's really just the immediate family that we need to be concerned about.

More later.

12 comments:

Margaret said...

I'm not sure where the bus station is here. But I CAN get to the train station. When will she be here?

Praying that you listen and for your DH's concerns too.

Running Kiwi said...

I think that is a perfect word - probably one I could do with! I joined a wonderful group last year that really opened my eyes/ears/heart to God again after years of burying my head ;) ... I don't think I'm quite there yet, but definitely starting the journey.

We also have a 5yo that matches that description, she is getting better and better though, I'm starting to see a light at the end of that tunnel ;)

Looking forward to your crafty pictures!

Stacy said...

om gosh i so understand i will pray for you as well !

Lana said...

Please know my prayers are with your family as your endure a struggle.

As for your kiddos, there's a reason why they were created so darn adorable...cause sometimes that the only thing that will save them teehee

Ara said...

Praying for you and your word! It's a good one!

Little Miss SGC (sorry I can't type her name under the publication law ;) One day you will look back and and hopefully smile when she's going through her own child rearing stage!

Miriam Pauline said...

Oh my! It is a good thing that they are cute!

Listening to others outside my family is soooo easy compared to the ones God gave me to teach me to pay attention. Praying for you. (And praying into the other situation as well). You know where I am if you need to talk.

_ said...

What a great word for the year. Listen is definitely something that I should do a better job of. I can certainly to you "I don't want to hear it!".

It's amazing how trying those little ones can be sometimes. It's a darn good thing they are so cute! ;) Hang in there. (((Hugs)))

Jaime said...

listen is a perfect word. It is so hard sometimes to listen to our kids, dh's, family, and most importantly God.

Tammy said...

Renee,

I can't tell you happy I am that you started a blog. You paint a most beautiful picture with your writing.

I'll be on the lookout for your young offender.

Sending hugs and prayers as you deal with things.

. said...

I'm sure you included the wrong photo...I'll send you the right one, and he's 7 not a girl and not 5 *giggle* --- prayers for your family, always keeping you in my thoughts.

Amydeanne said...

hey, I think I can add a few faces to the "most wanted" list! hehe.

Amy said...

I am so sorry the little criminal has got you down! If it cheers you up any, I've got a little criminal of my own. And on those days he doesn't drive me crazy, I give thanks he is who he is, and I'm thankful (most of the time) to God blessed us with him--he's a great energy! Remember, there's a reason God does what he does, something I'm furiously learning in our Romans bible study this year. God intends good to come of every situation, and although we can't always see it, it's there. We have to trust God with all our hearts. Good luck! Love your writing--you have a natural talent!