Thursday, January 25, 2007

Natural Performer



This layout is of Olivia's Christmas Recital last month. Poor kid, I didn't bring her music because she had both of her pieces memorized. What I didn't understand was that she planned to play them both as duets with her piano teacher. I was just happy we all got there in time and hair was brushed, come on! It didn't phase her in the least, she got up and played her two songs beautifully. O Come, All Ye Faithful and Joseph Dearest, Joseph Mine were heard through the house for a good part of December.

Being a musician myself, I struggle to know the line between encouragement and nagging. I don't want to be a controlling mother but, honestly, this is a talented child. My oldest plays the guitar and is doing quite well. My third is already lined up to start taking violin lessons by this fall (she has an incredible ear and may prove to be the most talented of all of us). However, Olivia has this drive and dedication that will see her go far. I don't think I've asked her more than a handful of times in the last 18 months to practice. She is diligent and thorough, much more than I can say for my own approach. She has a marvelous attention span. Just need to keep myself in check so I don't turn her off.

If I don't show up tomorrow, don't be concerned. I'll just be adjusting to my new age. Yes, another year to celebrate. My husband has terrific plans for the two of us. We're heading to a nearby city for lunch and a long soak in the mineral spa. He booked a massage for me at 3:15. We plan to be back here by 7 to eat cake with our children, put them to bed, and enjoy a quiet evening. I cannot wait!!!

11 comments:

Ara said...

Very nice layout. Perfect colours, and nice embelishments!

You deserve all that your husband has planned for tomorrow! Enjoy, relax and have a blast!

Marina said...

Oh how wonderful, I can't think of anything better to do than that on my birthday!! Such a wonderful man to set this all up too!!!

Sounds like you will have a wonderful afternoon. Enjoy your spa time!!!

Happy Birthday!!!

Christa said...

Happy Birthday! Have a great day tomorrow and enjoy the spa! BTW, Olivia looks great, her dedication will certainly take her very far. :)

Megan said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy every single minute of it. A day at the spa sounds delightful!

Margaret said...

I love the layout!

And birthday blessings upon you dear friend.

Have a nice soak!

Pam @ Heart2Heart said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RENEE!! I hope you have a fantastic and fabulous day! So happy to hear that Olivia did so well at her recital and how proud you must be.

Jaime said...

what a nice layout!
happy birthday! I hope you had a great day

Tina said...

Musical talent - a true gift from above.

Hope you had a wonderful birthday - as wonderful as you are, my friend!

_ said...

Great layout. And how wonderful there is so much musical talent in your family. I am constantly amazed by how much musical ability by kids have. Happy belated birthday. Hope you had a wonderful day!

Just Rhonda said...

I missed it... but late Happy Birthday!!! Sounds like it was a good one!

Amydeanne said...

aww beautiful! I can't believe how big they're getting! I saw little miss G with H today and man oh man has she ever changed! Holding her little cabbage patch baby all snuggly... what a sweetheart!
(btw, the van was found.. smashed up, but found!)