Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Manicures


My Mom is a really good mother but she's an even better grandmother. When Grandma comes the girls know that certain things will happen: there will likely be some kind of shopping, she will sing to them at bedtime, she will give them their baths, they can go down to her bed in the night instead of coming to our room, and nails and hair will be done. They don't ask me to do this, but it's a given that Grandma will. I know that she buys certain shades with them in mind and they are so excited to see if the selection has changed. One by one they make their way to the table to be filed and polished and fussed over. The girls are only 7, 5, and 4, but this has been going on for years already. She has even inspired some of her friends to start this ritual with their granddaughters. I love that she does this and the way the girls respond. Absolutely priceless.

I often think that Proverbs 31 speaks of the inner beauty of a woman, the character that makes a godly woman worthy of praise:

"Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. (vv. 28-30)

The passage certainly does speak to what endures but it certainly doesn't speak against physical beauty and attention. Look at v. 22:

She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

Do you think she might have, given the opportunity, polished her granddaughters' nails? What I do know is that these little manicure sessions are about a lot more than getting the nails done. There is lasting relational stuff going on during these moments. And that is truly beautiful.

10 comments:

Miriam Pauline said...

I was painting my nails just before Christmas (something I never do) and my DH asked why I was crying. I didn't realize I was crying, but I was reminiscing about all the times my grandmother did my nails when I came to visit. These are memories that will last a lifetime. (And thank you for making me cry again!)

Ara said...

What a Fun page!! Very sweet memories they will have, and you and your mom of course. Priceless!!

Running Kiwi said...

Sadly neither of our kids' grandmothers do neat things like that ... but I definitely plan to be that sort of Grandmother ;) Definitely memories to be treaured for ever!

Great layout too :)

Bonnie said...

Your Mom sounds awesome. What wonderfulmemories to scrapbook. Love the layout.

Margaret said...

What a great layout! Neither of our mothers is that kind of grandmother....but actually MIL is with cooking.

. said...

Your writings and insight are what bring me back here everyday...you're an amazing woman...I adore you

Amydeanne said...

sounds like a mommy after my own heart! Kudos to her for making a special time with the girls!
happy weekend!

Tina said...

Wow, what an awesome post. I love the pictures!!!

Kristin said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom.

AnneMarie said...

what a wonderful LO!
found you bloghopping :)
you should send this one in to be published :)