Monday, January 15, 2007

{two}


Two. The number of sympathy cards I made last night to send out to members of our church family. The first to a sweet lady who lost her husband. A hard-working farm couple, they had not yet fully retired and I am sad for her. Sad that she has lost her companion after many many years of marriage. Sad that she had no idea that his life would end with a sudden heart attack just after Christmas. Thankful that she has the assurance of seeing her husband, who lived a faithful life, again when she enters heaven. Thankful that this earthly body is just a shell and this earth my temporary home. A reminder to spend time on things of eternal significance. I'm praying for her as she reorders her life in the days and weeks to come.

The second card goes to a young couple. A couple married, I believe, less than two years. A couple overjoyed with the impending arrival of their first child. I'm not certain that I've seen a couple more excited to welcome a little one. Just six weeks shy of full-term, this precious child's earthly life is not to be. Grieving for them and praying for God to help them through this difficult time. Unsure of what to write inside this card, words seem inadequate. Covering them in prayer and for them to know the love of a Father who can handle even their biggest wounds.

This has been a weekend full of thoughts for me. I am faced with saying goodbye to a young lady who has become an important part of my life, a dear friend, and a motivation to grow in my spiritual life. It is time for her to make a significant move in her life and it has been so cool to see her wait on God for this direction. I've had the sweet pleasure of meeting with two young women as we walk through a discipleship Bible study together. As a mentor, I expected work, questions, and feelings of inadequacy. Instead I've received unspeakable joy as I've been challenged and motivated by these new believers seeing parts of the Bible for the first time. It has been a privilege to meet with them and pray for them, to cheer them on as they pursue this relationship. Our meetings will now consist of {two} of us instead of three. Amazing how God stores away unexpected blessings for us just when we most need them. Wonderful how He is right there when we LISTEN for His voice.

Blessings on your week. I'm looking forward to no extra meetings or commitments. Hopefully more crafty posts to come!

7 comments:

Ara said...

Cool, you stamped yesterday too.

So did I, wish it was under better circumstances though. I'm glad that there mailbox will be filled with wonderful handstamped cards, she loved them last year at the ladies retreat!

Hope you have a good week.

Running Kiwi said...

I'm sorry for your friends Renee ((hugs)) ... the card is beautiful.

_ said...

What a beautiful card but I'm so sorry for the reasons that you had to make them. (((Hugs)))

Kristin said...

Renee...a dear friend of mine lost her son 6 weeks before his due date. Just tell your friend what I told her...you are so sorry for their loss and that if they need anything at all (a shoulder to cry on or someone to talk to) just let you know. Also, as the time after their loss passes, fewer and fewer people will mention their baby. Make sure you let them know that you remember and will always listen...even a year down the road.

Megan said...

I am so sorry to hear of your friends losses. I will keep them in my prayrs.

Margaret said...

What a beautiful gift to give them in their sorrow.

. said...

Sorry for your friend's losses, how difficult. The card is lovely. I'm glad your life is going so wonderful and happy for you right now :)